pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> no sound in xawtv under ntsc
no sound in xawtv under ntsc
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
leeper69

hi I am having problems getting the sound working with my new PCHDTV 5500 card.
I am using Ubuntu 9.10 for my operating system and my sound card is a Sound Blaster value. I have the audio plunged into the line in jack on the sound card and am using a svideo cable from my Direct TV receiver to the supplied cable for the pchd 5500 card.
XAWTV settings are as follows.
tv norm = NTSC-m
video mode = S-Video
audio mode = stereo
Frequency table = us cable
Capture = grab-display
the volume is set to 100%
in the sound preferences window under the hardware tab are shown two devices as follows.
CX23880/1/2/3 pci video and audio
decoder(audio port) 1 input
analog stereo input
and
SB Live! EMU10K1 output/input
analog stereo duplex
NOTE: there are green vertical bars in the picture when xawtv first starts but when I enlarge the window they go away.
can anyone help me with this problem?

Last edited by leeper69 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
leeper69

I have tried a few things to get this card working this weekend.
first I removed the svideo cable and hooked up the 5500 with a coax cable from my direct TV receiver to the tuner then hooked up a audio cable from the sound output on the 5500 card to the line in jack on my sound blaster live card.(still no sound)
I then removed the sound blaster live card and enabled the on-board sound card on my ep45-ud3r Gigabyte mother board and plunged in the audio cables with the output of the 5500 going to line in. ( still no sound)
I also tried the card wit TvTime (still no sound)
I tried to get the 5500 to work in Mepis wit both xawtv and TV Time (still no sound)
I am beginning to wonder if the 5500 card is working properly!
HELP!!!!
NOTE the green bars are no longer in the picture window when xawtv first starts when using the coax cable setup.
no sound under NTSC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
leeper69

I have exhausted all aspects for the hardware end using the pchdtv 5500 card in my previous posts so I am now grasping at straws and am going to try to get the sound working by following the advice of others that have had the same or similar sound problems with this card.
first I tried blacklisting the card in blacklist.conf found in the /etc/modprobe.d directory of Ubuntu 9.10 kernel 2.6.31.17-generic the device no longer loaded at startup but the sound still didn't work. so I removed the cx88_alsa driver from my blacklist.conf file and rebooted the device now loads as it did before which can be checked in the hardware tab of sound preferences.
next I altered the alsa-conf file by rimming out the following line by placing a # in front of it as follows.
#options cx88_alsa index=2
#then added the following lines under it
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd_em10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 cx88_alsa
alias snd-card-2 cx88_alsa
alias snd-card-3 cx88_alsa
options cx88_alsa index=1,2,3
then saved the file and rebooted ((note: the emu10k1 is my sound blaster card))
still no sound
HELP me if You can!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
leeper69

I made one last ditch effort to see if the sound is working on the pcHDTV 5500 card.
I plugged in a set of earphones to the output jack on the card turned on the computer and opened up tvtime to my amazement there is no sound coming from the card , I tried to boost the sound to full in tv time with the volume at 100% and still no sound. I think the card is defective!!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
leeper69

I finally got sound to work by making a patch cord that has two RCA connectors on the end that plugs into my direct tv receiver and a mini din connector on the end that plugs into my sound blaster card. this bypasses the pchdtv card and hooks up to the sound card directly from the direct tv receiver, although I must turn off the receiver to stop the sound and turn it on to watch tv using the ntsc signal. I will be testing out the atsc signal reception and sound as soon as I can get a antana.
ps: Thanks Jack for sending me a replacement card.
no sound in xawtv under ntsc
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup