pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> installed pchdtv-5500 and lost onboard soundcard in alsa
installed pchdtv-5500 and lost onboard soundcard in alsa
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
rosc

Googled for clues about how to config udev but that just lead to more confusion as most info seems woefully out of date. How do I configure this system to load the internal soundcard as the 1st/default device, instead of loading the cx88 card 1st and ignoring the internal card?

Before installing pchdtv-5500:
Mar 23 21:16:16 deneb kernel: ALSA device list:
Mar 23 21:16:16 deneb kernel: #0: HDA NVidia at 0xfae78000 irq 2

After:
Apr 5 22:56:59 deneb kernel: cx2388x alsa driver version 0.0.7 loaded

and no onboard sound loaded at all.

tia
Re: installed pchdtv-5500 and lost onboard soundcard in alsa
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
klc5555

rosc wrote:
Googled for clues about how to config udev but that just lead to more confusion as most info seems woefully out of date. How do I configure this system to load the internal soundcard as the 1st/default device, instead of loading the cx88 card 1st and ignoring the internal card?

Before installing pchdtv-5500:
Mar 23 21:16:16 deneb kernel: ALSA device list:
Mar 23 21:16:16 deneb kernel: #0: HDA NVidia at 0xfae78000 irq 2

After:
Apr 5 22:56:59 deneb kernel: cx2388x alsa driver version 0.0.7 loaded

and no onboard sound loaded at all.

tia

Ubuntu used to exhibit this problem constantly up through about 7.10 with the hd-5500. If your alsa installation is vintage enough to still have asoundconf, the normal solution would be to run "aplay -l" to get a list of alsa-capable chips the machine knows about. If chip you'd prefer to use is listed, you then use "asoundconf set-default-card [the right card]" to get alsa pointed in the right direction.

Haven't experienced this behavior with machines whose alsa-utils no longer include asoundconf, so I'm not sure how the (probably similar) procedure would precisely run in that case.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
rosc

What I found to work for me:

/etc/modules.conf:
#Force Sound Device Sequence
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options cx88_alsa index=1

Yeah I know modules.conf is also a bit dated, but I'm pretty old-school. I've gotten the card to work somewhat with mplayer after a lot of reading on linuxtv.org's wiki (since pchdtv doesn't seem to be active or updated anymore) but only as analog ntsc, which may be just the way it is considering I have my dish-network tv-out connected directly to the rca cable plug on the hd5500 card. Maybe I just like doing things the hard way, but it's definitely easier to pull 20' of rca cable across the room than trying to patch 20' of s-link and audio cables!

Here's what I found:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/MPlayer
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Saa7134-alsa#Watch_with_mplayer

So I have this so far:

# works but choppy sound: #
/usr/local/bin/mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC:alsa=1:adevice=hw.1:immediatemode=0:amode=1 \
tv://3

Presumably I get choppy sound cos my cpu is just not fast enough, and I haven't figured out the right combo of mplayer commands to get it to run smoothly with sound through mplayer. So, I moved on to:

# works:
mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:norm=NTSC tv://3
# with:
arecord -D hw:1,0 -r 48000 -c 2 -f S16_LE | aplay -D hw:0,0
# or
sox -r 48000 -t alsa hw:1,0 -t alsa hw:0,0

I haven't had time to get into more sophisticated ways of doing things yet, but this is a good start for me, I like low-level hackery Smile)
installed pchdtv-5500 and lost onboard soundcard in alsa
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup