pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Recording SD digital from HD-3000 gives HD files??
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Recording SD digital from HD-3000 gives HD files??
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote
CharlesWGreenJr

Hi,

I'm running KnoppMyth R5A12 (still don't have tuning working with R5A15.1) and have been able to record several shows. I still can't play back HD without problems (2.8 GHz P4 w/ HT and 800MB FSB plus nVidia FX 5200, but all attempts to use XvMC have failed to date), but SD seems fine.

I've noticed, however, that some SD programs produce small files (about 1GB per hour) and play back fine, while some SD programs produce files the same size as HD (about 6GB per hour) and are jumpy / slow on playback.

For example, 26_3 here is a public TV channel for kids' programming, which produces the smaller files. But the main channel of the major network affiliates, such as 7_1 for ABC, always produces the huge files whether they're sending HD or not.

At least, I *assume* that when I see a 4:3 aspect ratio image they're sending out the data in SD format! Is it possible that this is not the case? If so, is there some way to specify that I want to record in SD in this case, to take up less space on disk without losing any image quality and to allow playback without requiring more resources than I currently have configured?

Thanks!

-Charles Green
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Stations transmit in one format on a channel all the time so they don't have to constantly reprogram their encoder. Your PBS station is broadcasting subchannels in SD and they'll always be SD. Other channels are upconverting SD programs into HD on their HD channel so they don't have to reprogram their encoder every time the network has a non-HD program.

Some stations broadcast their networks' SD feed on a subchannel. Why, I don't know. Maybe because they can. Other stations only broadcast HD on a single channel. It's up to the station to decide.
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:21 pm Reply with quote

Are you sure your kernel is compiled for SMP *and* has the HT scheduler tweak selected. I'm not sure what knoppmyth uses but I know that if you are taking a stock kernel from fedora, for example, this won't be the case. Also, make the kernel preemptable while you are at it.

Ensure that you are using UDMA on the hard drive. ("hdparm -d /dev/hda", for example.) And make sure that you are actually using the nvidia driver and not nv. No need to use XvMC with what you have. I have the same processor specs and all works fine.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nechushtan

are you sure the channel your recording is HD?

I get many digital cable SD channels via QAM along side my HD channels. I get 3 pbs stations this way and a few random others as well. But they're sent out in SD, not HD, as regular digital cable channels.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

There isn't a single unencrypted SD channel on my cable system.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
aoikle

XvMC is very useful to me. If you have an NVidia card, why not save CPU and use its mo-comp ability? Download and install the XvMC Wrapper from the Unichrome project site. I had to recompile xine lib afterward for xine to see it.

My problem is, I get HD fine, sometime jumpy but I think that's a reception problem.

- I get no sound with SD feeds but sound with my local access channels.
- I get Music Choice channels with skipping sound.
- xine crashes hard... real hard freezing the computer, and if it doesn't do that, half the time it either becomes un-killable with -9 or if it does quit, it doesn't free alsa so it can't be opened by other programs or xine, and if not those things other drastic problems. Extremely freakin' annoying!!!

I'm using xine lib 1.1.1 with xine hd ui, kernel 2.6.14 preempt, 1.7 GHz Athlon. When it works fine and I don't challenge it by changing channels, it keeps working.

Anyone familiar with these problems?

-Andrew
Recording SD digital from HD-3000 gives HD files??
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card