pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> MPEG2 hardware decoders (Hollywood and DXR2/3)
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
MPEG2 hardware decoders (Hollywood and DXR2/3)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
mspice

Has anyone used any hardware MPEG2 decoders on the HDTV video from the hd-2000/3000? I understand that these cards were developed to help slow machines play DVD's, but can they support the MPEG2 streams from these cards? What considerations might there be? For one, I know that the most common use of them is to use the s-video or composite out on them. Doing so with HDTV would be quite a waste. Still, it would be usefull for me by enabling an old machine to be put on the network and share the streams that the ones connected to HD displays use.

I've used the XvMC with mplayer to utilize the hardware acceleration. How do these dedicated cards compare to the MPEG2 decoding built into video cards nowadays?

More info:
http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/

Michael
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I would be shocked if the DXR2 could handle HD streams. It was a pretty cheap board designed to display SD video at DVD specifications and it barely managed that. I don't think it would accept higher resolution streams.

I still have a seven year old DXR2 sitting next to my VooDoo 2. Old technology!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
GrepTar

I've used the decoder in a hauppauge 350. It will decode the streams captured by my pchdtv-3000 only if they are 480p
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
DxVA

I have seen some mentions of the newer VIA display chips (the Unichrome stuff, integrated into some chipsets like the CN400). I always assumed they were just doing XvMC/DxVA-type iDCT offload. But, I see in their spec sheets they mention MPEG4 acceleration and MPEG2 decoding. Some google searches turn up more references to the MPEG2 decoding..

This sounds very interesting for an app like MythTV, Mplayer, etc. Has anyone seen detailed specs on what they offload, CPU requirements, etc?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
maestro

DxVA wrote:
This sounds very interesting for an app like MythTV, Mplayer, etc. Has anyone seen detailed specs on what they offload, CPU requirements, etc?

For MPEG2, it offloads pretty much all of the decoding, in that an 800Mhz CPU is less than 25% on full HD (my own experience) -- and most of that seems to be because it is running under X. Running through a frame buffer, it is virtually nothing. Here are some comments from the developer that worked on VIA's enhanced Xine player.

VIA also has patches for mplayer, at their VIA Enhanced Patch for MPlayer sourceforge site.

All this is using their driver and these patched apps.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
tji

Wow, that's excellent... I have been using MyHD cards (on Windows) for a few years now, in large part because of their hardware MPEG2 decoding. This chip seems to combine the benefits of MPEG2 decoding, with the flexibility of software solutions.

Are there any standalone video cards that offer this capability? The only devices I have seen it in are motherboards with VIA chipsets.

maestro wrote:
DxVA wrote:

For MPEG2, it offloads pretty much all of the decoding, in that an 800Mhz CPU is less than 25% on full HD (my own experience) -- and most of that seems to be because it is running under X. Running through a frame buffer, it is virtually nothing. Here are some comments from the developer that worked on VIA's enhanced Xine player.

VIA also has patches for mplayer, at their VIA Enhanced Patch for MPlayer sourceforge site.

All this is using their driver and these patched apps.
MPEG2 hardware decoders (Hollywood and DXR2/3)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics