pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Getting Started Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Getting Started
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
mk500

I have had my finger on the trigger of buying a HD-2000 since it came out, but I have hesitated. I've read through many of the postings here, and am hoping someone could reassure me that I'll be able to make it work. Here is what I am trying to do:

- I basically just want a way to schedule recording of OTA DTV and HDTV shows to disk. I then need it converted to standard MPEG2 for viewing on my laptop. I have no cable or satellite.
- I live in San Francisco, and am able to receive the channels I want with my existing RCA DTC100 receiver and an RCA indoor antenna (box shaped).
- I have installed and configured a large number of BSD and Linux boxes, but am not a developer. I run my own DNS and web servers out of my home with BIND and Apache. I don't do a lot of compiling, but am willing to learn.
- I have two boxes that the card might go in:
1) Dual PIII 450Mhz, 512MB, ATI Rage128
2) 3.2Ghz P4, 1GB, ATI Radeon 9000

I have several questions:
Is it likely I'll have similar reception to my DTC100? Will the same antenna work?
Will I be able to get it working without writing my own code?
Do I need Myth, or is there something simpler?
If I only need to download the shows to the drive, and won't view them on that PC, can I use the Dual PIII listed above?
What software can convert the files I receive into MPEG2? Is it something that could run on the PIII listed above?
What Linux distro would be best to run on the PC? All I will have it do is download the shows and run an FTP server so I can xfr to my laptop.

Sorry for my limited knowledge, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Also, huge Kudos for building this card!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
Spinoza

Quote:
I basically just want a way to schedule recording of OTA DTV and HDTV shows to disk. I then need it converted to standard MPEG2 for viewing on my laptop. I have no cable or satellite.

Skip over mpeg2 and convert them to mpeg4 ie Xvid ( or some other similar library ) on linux with transcode or mencoder.

Quote:
I live in San Francisco, and am able to receive the channels I want with my existing RCA DTC100 receiver and an RCA indoor antenna (box shaped).

I'm not sure how the signal strength needs of your current box pair up with the HD-2000, but if you can receive the channels now, I'm sure it wouldn't require much tweaking to get everything to work. I had a cheap radio shack un-amped antenna, that triangle shaped one. I could get 3 of the 4 broadcasting stations with it. I just got their amped "HDTV" (cough *bulls**t) UHF antenna, and now I get that last station, CBS, just fine too.

[/quote]I have installed and configured a large number of BSD and Linux boxes, but am not a developer. I run my own DNS and web servers out of my home with BIND and Apache. I don't do a lot of compiling, but am willing to learn. [/quote]

You should be fine. I'd go for a mythTV install. That way you can use it to schedule recordings and automaticlly transcode them so you don't have to do manual labor Wink

Quote:
Is it likely I'll have similar reception to my DTC100? Will the same antenna work?
Will I be able to get it working without writing my own code?
Do I need Myth, or is there something simpler?
If I only need to download the shows to the drive, and won't view them on that PC, can I use the Dual PIII listed above?
What software can convert the files I receive into MPEG2? Is it something that could run on the PIII listed above?
What Linux distro would be best to run on the PC? All I will have it do is download the shows and run an FTP server so I can xfr to my laptop.

wow, lots of questions.... The dual pIII would be fine for recording as long as it has a decent IDE drive with DMA running properly. transcode or mencoder would be perfectly happy on a dual pIII. I'd go with redhat 9 for the linux install, currently, it's the easiest to get the HD-2000 working on, and the easiest to get an install of mythTV working on. ( lots of online docs ) and I'm sure it'll do FTP just fine Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quote
b96miata

I'll second the idea of using your Dual PIII as the capture machine. If you don't already have a sufficiently large (~8gb/hr) drive, just ensure you get one that has the requisite speed. That will matter more than cpu power.

I will also say I would advise against the divx reccomendation. Stripping your captured files down to mpeg's is a quick stream processing job, limited only by the speed of your disk (mostly) since they are already mpeg2 data, just packaged differently. Encoding to Divx on the other hand, is a whole different ball game. I'd be interested to hear spinoza's experiences and his hardware specs if he has had success with this approach. Imagine the time it takes to rip/reencode a dvd on your dual PIII machine and then multiply that by some number, most likely >4. Your capture box will spend all its time transcoding.

MPEG2 files should also take less juice to play back on your laptop (always welcome w/ video on a laptop) If its somewhat recent you may even score some level of acceleration, which is unlikely w/ mpeg4. (Think XvMC and its vendor specific windows workalikes for using motion compensation on your vid card.)

As far as writing your own code, no. You will, however, need to do some patching and compiling, which you can just look at as another part of your install process when you put linux on the box. The stock kernel will need to be patched and recompiled, and you'll need to build the drivers for the card and install them. (Both went without a hitch for me)

As for recording, myth is the only elegant, integrated solution that I'm currently aware of. I'm sure you could rig something up with a cron job, or alternatively just sit there and cat /dev/dtv0 > file until your show was over, but I'll reccomend myth as the easiest way to accomplish your goals. Add a web server alongside your ftp server, and after the initial myth setup, mythweb will be all you ever need to look at.

Redhat 9 is a fine choice for a distro. I use it for the box I have the hd2000 in. As for your mpeg converting tool, search around the forum, I believe people are using a tool from the dvb project to extract the relevant stream from the captured file. (can't help you a ton there, I just use mplayer and it can read the raw captures ok Wink )

Good luck with your setup and don't hesitate to post here if you hit any snags.
Big thanks for the answers!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
mk500

Much thanks to Spinoza and b96miata for the advice. I think I'll stick with MPEG2 because I know it works well on my laptop and will minimize transcoding time (should be faster if it's just modifying the file instead of re-encoding it...and size isn't an issue for me).

I'm going to purchase the card and start the adventure Smile If things go well with the PIII, I may try stuffing it into a Mini-ITX Via 800Mhz box I have here, which would be much lower power consumption (and smaller).

b96miata, I like your userID, I have a Red 2001 Wink

Thanks for giving me confidence to go forward.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote
Spinoza

Crazy Miata drivers.....

I'll make a quick defense of my transcode to mpeg4 comments. It really depends on how you use the ability to save programs. If you say... want to record the simpons, will and grace, and friends, and ER, each week, or each night perhaps.... size WILL be an issue, and if it's not... then obviously money isn't an issue either Wink

When I was thinking transcode to mpeg4, there was this little loop running in the back of my head that was saying... "obvisouly you would scale down the size of the video"... to at most 704x480.. somewhere around DVD quality. So it would take the extra frame scaling time + normal DVD encode time. Not too bad.. it's a good way to archive. Maybe you could set it up so after the Full HD stream sat around for a week it got transcoded to mpeg4... something like that.

As for my hardware... yeah.. there's where I'm crazy. I built a liquid cooled dual Athlon 1800 back in 2001. I'm use to encoding DVD's to mpeg4 faster then real time.

As for the dual pIII.. having the dual would be great for a "delayed transcode" setup. even while doing a transcode you would still have plenty of juice left to record a currently airing show... especially if you transcode to a different hard drive, on a different channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I've never been able to get transcode to do anything with any files generated by getatsc. tccat always quickly gives up on them with "bad sync byte". I have the latest transcode package.
Got my card
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:19 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Well, I received my HD-2000 card. I decided to install it in a Mini-ITX box with 800Mhz C3 processor. Here's what I've accomplished so far:

1) Installed RedHat 9. Tried installing the ver 1.2 drivers for RH9. I had problems during the Make/Make Install steps. Sorry I don't have the exact errors. I decided to go to Fedora at this point because I was having other problems with RedHat9 on the Via Mini-ITX board (issues with Ethernet driver).
2) Installed minimal Fedora. Much better support for my motherboard/hardware. Tried installing RH9 drivers version 1.2. Here's what happened during "Make":

Code:
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-unused -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include   -c -o tuner.o tuner.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-unused -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include   -c -o bttv-driver.o bttv-driver.c
bttv-driver.c: In function `do_bttv_mmap':
bttv-driver.c:2207: warning: passing arg 1 of `remap_page_range_R69d01e73' makes integer from pointer without a cast
bttv-driver.c:2207: error: incompatible type for argument 4 of `remap_page_range_R69d01e73'
bttv-driver.c:2207: error: too many arguments to function `remap_page_range_R69d01e73'
make: *** [bttv-driver.o] Error 1

So, I'm not sure what's wrong, but I'm getting the impression I need to install the kernel patch for Linux-2.4.22. So I downloaded this file from pcHDTV site:

Linux-2.4.22-kernel-patch-1.0.tar.gz

I decompressed it on my box and read the instructions:

Code:

Instructions for using the Linux Kernel 2.4.22  patch:

There are two patch files one for the kernel and one for the videodev.h
in the /usr/include/linux directory.  You will need to apply both.

The patch was created on a redhat system with
'diff -uNr linux-2.4 linux-2.4.22-pchdtv > linux-2.4.22-pcHDTV-1.0.patch'.

Quick instructions for the untimid on a Redhat system.  Other distributions
use linux as the symlink to point to the kernel sources.

As root do the following:

(1) Make a copy of your kernel sources  just in case.
from '/usr/src' run 'cp -r linux-2.4 linux-backup'

(2) Apply the patch using the patch command.
Make the 'linux-2.4' symlink point to the kernel sources you want
to patch and run 'patch -p0 <linux-2.4.22-pcHDTV-1.0.patch'.

(3) Build and Install the modified modules
from '/usr/src/linux-2.4' run 'make modules' then 'make modules_install'

OK, (1) makes sense to me. But I'm totally lost on (2) and (3). Anyone have good link on compiling kernels?

Whew.....this is exciting! Am I on the right path at least?
progress...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:14 am Reply with quote
mk500

Well, I've spent the last few days working on getting the kernel recompiled after the patches are applied to Fedora Core 1. I've learned a great deal about kernel compiling Smile Unfortunately I don't have a working patched kernel yet, but I thought I would post some instructions anyway....to save others the time I've spent.

When installing Fedora Core 1, make sure you install the developer tools and source.
After downloading the Linux-2.4.22-kernel-patch-1.0.tar.gz file from here, apply the patches as the instructions say (step 1 of the included readme).

To recompile the kernel (as root):

Code:

1) Go to your source directory (e.g. /usr/src/linux-2.4)
2) make oldconfig
3) make oldconfig
         second time is to fix a bug where you get error during compile
4) manually edit .config file: CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m needs to be manually changed to y
5) make dep
6) make clean
7) make bzImage <-- this takes a while
8) make modules <-- this seems to be taking even longer than bzImage
9) make modules_install
10) make install <-- this will move kernel into /boot and add it to your boot menu (e.g. Grub)
11) reboot, and select your new kernel
12) If your new kernel won't boot, hard-reset your PC and then choose the old kernel at boot
no luck
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:50 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Well, after about a week, I still can't test my card Sad I'm able to re-compile the kernel with patches (as I noted in the last post) with no errors, but I can't seem to get any dtv devices to show up in my /dtv.

So the command I've been trying to make work:

signal /dev/dtv 30

It won't work because it can't find the dtv device.

I decided to start over with a RH9 fresh installation from ISOs instead of Fedora, since it seems more people are talking about using RH9. After doing a clean install of RH9, I downloaded RH90-driver-rev-1.2.tar.gz. I then uncompressed it and did a "make" and then a "make install" as root. Here's what I get during "make install":

Code:

install -d /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video /lib/modules/misc
install -c tuner.o /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -c tuner.o /lib/modules/misc
install -c bttv.o /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -c bttv.o /lib/modules/misc
install -c linux/usr/include/linux/videodev.h /usr/include/linux
install -c linux/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/videodev.h /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux
./minstall
rmmod: module bttv is not loaded
rmmod: module tuner is not loaded
./minstall: line 16:  2555 Segmentation fault      /sbin/modprobe bttv

I think I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have some general direction I should head in? Basically I have no problem wiping this machine and installing ANY distro you recommend. My only goal at this point (keeping it simple) is to be able to get the signal strength. The next step would be to use getatsc to save some programming to disk.

Thanks for any advice.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
b96miata

I've noticed you've thrown around a couple of distro's and kernel versions in your posts. Which distro/kernel/with what patches are you running now?

My earliest days w/ an hd-2000 aren't crystal clear any more, but I don't think I got it working on the stock rh9 kernel. I believe I first went to 2.4.22 to match up with the available patch and eventually onto 2.6.0-test4

However, you should be able to get the card working on a 2.4.x kernel ( I did for some time)

My reccomendation would be to get the 2.4.22 tarball, extract it in your /usr/src, make sure linux-2.4 and linux points to it , and apply the 2.4.22 patch from the website.

Then go into your kernel source, run make menuconfig and make sure any other hardware you have has support enabled. Build the new kernel with the steps you detailed, and once you can boot into it with no other problems, proceed with building the hd-2000 drivers.

If you get errors like the one in your last post, take a look at the minstall script and try to figure out which part is failing. in the case mentioned, try doing modprobe bttv manually, or try doing insmod on the file itself (bttv.o) Once you figure out where exactly you're hitting your snag it should be easier to remedy.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Thanks much for the input, b96miata. I'm currently on a stock RH9 kernel, so that syncs up well with your advise.

I'll nab the 2.4.22 tarball and follow your suggestions.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Here's where I'm at:

1) Fresh install from RH9 ISOs
2) Downloaded 2.4.22 sources from http://www.ftp-oregonstate-edu.lkams.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.22.tar.gz
3) Uncompressed, tuned the kernel with menuconfig until it worked best on my hardware, successfully applied patches in Linux-2.4.22-kernel-patch-1.0.tar.gz
4) Compiled kernel and can boot sucessfully
5) Attempting to do "make" on either 1.0 or 1.2 of RH90-driver; in either case I get same error:

Code:

cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-unused -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include   -c -o tuner.o tuner.c
cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/modversions.h -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Wno-unused -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall -I/usr/src/linux-2.4/include   -c -o bttv-driver.o bttv-driver.c
bttv-driver.c: In function `do_bttv_mmap':
bttv-driver.c:2065: warning: passing arg 1 of `remap_page_range_R69d01e73' makes integer from pointer without a cast
bttv-driver.c:2065: incompatible type for argument 4 of `remap_page_range_R69d01e73'
bttv-driver.c:2065: too many arguments to function `remap_page_range_R69d01e73'
make: *** [bttv-driver.o] Error 1

Any suggestions?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:16 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Oops! That problem was mentioned in another posting. I modified the bttv-driver.c file as discussed here:

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79

I was then able to "make" sucessfully.

So now I'm back to "make install" issues:

Code:

install -d /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/media/video /lib/modules/misc
install -c tuner.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -c tuner.o /lib/modules/misc
install -c bttv.o /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/media/video
install -c bttv.o /lib/modules/misc
install -c linux/usr/include/linux/videodev.h /usr/include/linux
install -c linux/usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux/videodev.h /usr/src/linux-2.4/include/linux
./minstall
rmmod: module bttv is not loaded
rmmod: module tuner is not loaded
modprobe: Can't locate module tuner
modprobe: Can't locate module bttv

So, based on another post, I tried "modprobe bttv":

Code:

modprobe: Can't locate module bttv

"insmod bttv.o" gets me:

Code:

bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_bit_add_bus_Rca543f36
bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_master_recv_R67b29cc4
bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_bit_del_bus_Rdf920b11
bttv.o: unresolved symbol i2c_master_send_Rb692cb0e

Is this hinting that the i2c code didn't get installed into the kernel? I'm going back to my kernel config and check that out. I could have sworn it was there....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
TrisMcC

OK, so you rebooted and are running this kernel?

try doing:
Code:

depmod -a

and then doing
Code:

modprobe bttv

See how that works!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
mk500

TrisMcC wrote:
OK, so you rebooted and are running this kernel?

try doing:
See how that works!

Yes. I am currently running the kernel detailed a few posts back. I was able to apply the patches to the kernel without problems. But I'm running into problems with the "drivers" from RH90-driver-rev-1.2.tar.gz. I'll try your commands:

depmod -a

returns nothing (no error)

modprobe bttv

Code:

Segmentation fault

The only thing I am zoning in on is the "i2c" at the beginning of each unresolved symbol in my last post (results from make install on driver). The I2C section of my current kernel .config looks like this:

Code:

#
# I2C support
#
CONFIG_I2C=m
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=m
# CONFIG_I2C_PHILIPSPAR is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ELV is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_VELLEMAN is not set
# CONFIG_SCx200_I2C is not set
# CONFIG_SCx200_ACB is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_ALGOPCF is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_PROC is not set

I am about to try turning a few more of these components on. Does anyone know if any of the ones I hadn't set are critical for this card?

Thanks for all the advice and help! Smile
Getting Started
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics