pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> MythTV+HD3000+fx5200+Sony 50" HDTV
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
MythTV+HD3000+fx5200+Sony 50" HDTV
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Esherm

Hello,

I am starting to build a mythtv setup using knoppmyth. I see most people are using either component/composite/svideo to connect to their tvs. Will it be possible or is it better to go direct from my DVI out to HDMI in on my tv using a DVI->HMDI cable?

Thanks.
Erik
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
bcstanding

Yes, if you have a DVI connection available, you should use it.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

The HDMI input on my Sharp Aquos would not accept the DVI output of my FX5200 with a DVI->HDMI cable. However, that same cable works perfectly when plugged into the DVI output of my cable box.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:54 am Reply with quote

Scott Larson wrote:
The HDMI input on my Sharp Aquos would not accept the DVI output of my FX5200 with a DVI->HDMI cable. However, that same cable works perfectly when plugged into the DVI output of my cable box.

And I would suggest that this is because you need to massage your modeline(s).

Why else would it not work? It's not like the TV can say "Oooh, this is from a cable box so I'll work but that is from a computer so I won't" if you have your modeline setup to produce the same signals as the cable box.

Perhaps you can determine what resolutions your TV requires/accepts on its HDMI input as a starting point.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote

Google for "Sharp Aquos modeline" and you will find numerous examples of modelines that people say they use with their Sharp Aquos LCD flatscreens.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

And you'll find that every single one of those people are, like me, using the Aquos's DVI input, not the HDMI input. DVI works, HDMI doesn't.

Quote:
Why else would it not work? It's not like the TV can say "Oooh, this is from a cable box so I'll work but that is from a computer so I won't" if you have your modeline setup to produce the same signals as the cable box.

Whether or not you can get Nviida's driver to make those signals "just like a cable box" is an exercise left to someone who hasn't tried it. Hint: I've never been able to get any of Nvidia's recent driver releases to work at all with any of the inputs on my Sharp Aquos yet a two year old version of the driver works perfectly. I've spent hours and hours tweaking modelines with no luck so I just go back to the old driver. This is not a simple task.
MythTV+HD3000+fx5200+Sony 50" HDTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card